Exciting Prospects in Young Women’s Employment forum
Positioning Young Women to be Tomorrow's Leaders in Employment
On March 1st 2012 NACEW hosted this Forum with over 80 delegates to explore what will make a positive difference to young women in employment and on their pathway to leadership.
The forum was opened by the Minister of Women’s Affairs, Hon Jo Goodhew.
- Keynote speech by the Minister of Women’s Affairs, Hon Jo Goodhew [External link]
- Panel of inspiring women in employment
- NACEW Introduces Tomorrow's Employment Leaders
A summary report on this forum and the Ministry of Women’s Affairs presentation “A focus on young women in employment” are available to download from the Documents panel on the right.
A number of recurring themes emerged from the Forum discussion:
- Role models and mentoring – the importance of women supporting women and also of having more tangible female leaders as role models
- Parental leave and flexi opportunities to manage work and family
- The role of business in delivering fair treatment
- Pay equity and efforts to achieve improved outcomes
- Careers advice and skill development.
Forum participants suggested a number of areas where NACEW might make a positive contribution to enhancing young women’s employment and future leadership by:
- Examining opportunities available for young women still at school to access mentoring support and engage more with women who are successfully engaged in employment.
- Undertaking research on business benefits of flexibility and encouragement for men/fathers’ greater use of flexible work to support their caregiving.
- Consider how women might be assisted with better information and enhanced skills in negotiating their pay.
- Continue to exchange ideas on the themes of this event.
NACEW will use the feedback provided through the forum in developing its future work programme and its ongoing engagement with stakeholders.